Witches, ghosts, and vampires wander around the houses – and Halloween sayings help them with the candy hunt. We have the most beautiful Halloween sayings for kids and adults, for Trick or Treat and WhatsApp status. Also, you will learn exciting facts about the famous scary festival.
Happy Halloween Sayings
Halloween is derived from the English “All Hallows Evening” (Evening Before All Saints) and refers to our Halloween night today. Behind the custom, as we know it today, lies a long history.
Halloween earlier: history and tradition
Halloween is originally a Celtic holiday and probably 2,500 years old. The Celts who lived in Central Europe believed back then that the dead would come back to earth to visit their relatives. They carried lights to show the spirits the way. At that time, the festival was still called “Samhain” (the Gaelic word for “November”).
The Celts died, their feast survived. The Irish took over the custom but were afraid of the dead. Because of this, they disguised themselves with scary masks to keep the ghosts from frightening. In the Middle Ages, the tradition then turned into a Christian custom and settled on the evening before All Saints Day.
Catholic Irish immigrated to the United States and Canada in the 19th century, maintaining and expanding this custom. Thus, the tradition established itself thoroughly and continued in the 1990s to Europe. It mixed there with native customs, in the USA, for example, with beet spirits and Traulichtern (hollowed-out pumpkins).
Halloween today: sweet or sour
On Halloween, children go disguised for candy-hunting and ring the doorbells in their neighborhood. With the saying “sweet or sour” (meaning “give us sweet, or else it’s sour”), they ask for sweets and at the same time, threaten to play a joke if there are no sweets. Popular variants, if there are no sweets in the house, are: wrap the house with toilet paper or throw eggs at it. Many households buy extra sweets for Halloween to please the children who are traveling and prevent them from being pranked.
In English-speaking countries, kids say “trick or treat” instead of “trick or treat.” “Trick” means prank, “Treat” means candy or treat.
Creepy Disguises: A fitting Halloween costume
There are a variety of disguises for Halloween. In the US, the festival is celebrated almost like our carnival. And there are panels in all shapes and colors. In our country, one focuses more on scary motives. So our Halloween party is very similar to that of the Irish, who disguised themselves to drive away from the evil spirits.
Not only children, but adults also dress up for Halloween. There are numerous events and themed parties on which to wear costumes. We’ve listed some matching disguises that are great for a Halloween party or candy romp.
- black cat
- Horror Clown
- Any costume is scary (for example, horror doll, undead Little Red Riding Hood, zombie princess, crashed pilot, zombie policeman and so on)
- A character from a horror film (for example Freddy Krueger, Jason, Michael Myers, Chuckie the killer doll, the murderer from Scream and so on)
Halloween Sayings 2020
Halloween is always celebrated in the Night before All Saints’ Day, on the night of October 31st to November 1st. For the Celts, who celebrated this tradition 2,500 years ago, this day was the end of the year. The summer was officially passed, and the winter welcomed.
60 Halloween Sayings + 6 Halloween Poems
The following Halloween sayings can be used in many ways. We’ve created categories to help you find what you’re looking for. Among them, you will discover spooky Halloween sayings and movie quotes for adults, Halloween sayings for kids as well as short Halloween sayings, and WhatsApp sayings for all ages. Finally, we have six short poems for you.
For example, use the Halloween sayings as a new WhatsApp status. You can suggest them to your kids as a change from the classic saying “trick or treat” or write them on invitation cards for a Halloween party. You could also make signs with short slogans that keep the kids up on the candy hunt or use the sayings as the text for funny Halloween greeting cards.
Halloween sayings for children
The following happy Halloween sayings are especially suitable for children. They all rhyme and are written easily understandable. So the children can memorize the sayings very well and recite loudly on their forays in the neighborhood.
It is nice to have a change from the classic “sweet or sour.” Thus, the children can not only stand out from other groups but also every year to recite a new saying. It never gets boring. The sayings are cute and not too naughty, so they do not diminish the chances of a good sweep.
Tip: If the children come in a group and recite the cute sayings in the choir, they have a particularly good chance to capture a lot of sweets.
- We are little ghostsand have a master.
He ordered us
to get sweets.
- We came on the broomfor us, witches are not that difficult
If we get something sweet,
then you ‘ll see us fly right away!
- I’m the pumpkin spirit, traveledfrom far away.
I’m hungry, even very,
so give me something to snack on!
- Today, all spirits are awake,all the witches on the roof,
monsters sneak around the house,
so quickly give out something sweet!
- Ringel, Ringel, Reihe,the ghost comes by today.
Want to beware,
put something sweet in the bags!
- Halloweenmonsters are roaming the streets tonight.
Do something sweet here,
then stop screaming!
- Ghosts call hu and ha!Is there anyone here?
Does anyone want to drive us away?
Shall we not plague you anymore?
Then get sweets for the ghost child
and away, we are fast!
- Buh, here comes the one man.Look at the ghosts too.
If you want your peace,
give them some sweet gifts!
- Spider leg and broomstick,this witch does not want much.
Just a bit on the hand,
already the witch has run away!
1 and 2 and 3
Ghosts all come here!
4 and 5 and 6
Now we call the evil witch!
7, 8, 9 and 10
Sweet things, and you see us go!
- We haunt your house todayand make a lot of shouting.
Do you give us sweets,
it’s over quickly!
- We are the ghostsand knock on the windows,
we ring the doors,
that all feel fear!
Drum gives us something to nibble,
so we continue to flutter!
- We are the little ghostsand like to play with paste,
we also want to play with mud,
and make it nonsense.
If you want us to go away,
you have to pull out sweets!
- This skeleton is not happy and not beautiful,it is too thin and would like to be fat.
Give him sweet things,
then it can finally laugh again!
Short Halloween sayings
Short Halloween sayings can be memorized exceptionally well. There is not much text to remember, and sentences often rhyme. Thanks to the melody and the small number of words, these sayings can quickly forget even the youngest. Also, all short sayings are always suitable for WhatsApp status. Surprise your friends and send them a voicemail with a short saying on Halloween.
Tip: When the kids say they are saying on the candy hunt and get something, there is a lovely saying for afterward: “We thank you, you are free now, we keep moving with yelling!”. Finally, you should, if you got something, thank you.
- Do you give us something sweet, we move on to the house next door.
- We are ghosts and like to eat paste. If you do not want to give me anything sticky sweets, I’ll stick here longer.
- Today is Halloween night.Ghosts and witches are all awakened.
- Spook ghosts around the house,just give out something sweet!
- I’m a little pumpkin childand I want sweets – go, fast!
- Sweet things,then we will not be annoying anymore.
- Get back out. Otherwise, it haunts the house!
- Caramel and gummi bear,give us something. You’ll never see us again.
- I saw a black cat,she guards a sweetie.
- No squishy pumpkin, I do not want that.Give me sweets in all colors!
- For Halloween, you disguise yourself as a monster. I’m Cookie Monster and want Keeeekse!Zick, zack, jerk, give yourself a jerk.
Give me some sweets, the best ones!
- Snailslime and cat wreck, I want to have mouse bacon!
- I’m warning you; I’m counting to four.If you have nothing tasty, there’s toilet paper!
- Werewolves, vampires, and witches unite today. They help to hunt down our prey, so we will not get a chance so soon.
- Ri-Ra-slip,my good behavior is gone today!
- Drum gives me everything delicious,otherwise, you’re unlucky, that’s for sure!
Creepy Halloween Quotes
This saying category is more for adults. The selected Halloween sayings either leave a weird, queasy feeling or are just a little too severe for the fun Halloween kids have. We have chosen some movie quotes for you that come from scary movies (eg, Psycho, Shining). If your friends read these quotes, they probably put them back in the situation when they saw the Halloween Movie, and they remember how they felt about it.
Not everyone is scared of scary sayings; some of your friends will leave them untouched. But after all, it’s all about having something suitable for Halloween that you can send or set as WhatsApp status. If you do not intend to confuse your friends with the meaning of the quotation, then you should always write where it comes from in a movie quote, or you probably will not understand it.
- Dark Lost World Lost,evil angels only chosen
were a delusion called Night,
perched high on black thrones.
- Witches, devils, and ghosts are moving from house to house today. Be sure they look into your windows, do not miss any.
- Tony is the little boy in my mouth.(Off shining)
- I’m coming out of my grave because I’m hungry. Is there bone or blood here? Sweet things would be just beautiful.
- What does a witch start with life? If she can not witch anymore?(Bibi Blocksberg)
- Tonightwe flee from figures and dead.
So be careful,
they are all doom-mongers.
- One, two, Freddy comes over.Three, four, he stands at the door.
Five, six, now the hex will pick you up.
Seven, eight, it’s almost midnight.
Nine, ten, we want to go to sleep now.
- Scary, haunting and frightening,there are ghosts tonight that lick your fingers after you.
- A look into the world proves that horror is nothing but reality.
- I know what you did last summer.I see dead people.
What’s in the package?
- No, the mother is harmless. She is. She is. She is as gentle as those stuffed birds.
- Dress up for Halloween, but your mask will eventually fall.I am like a boggart. If you’re not careful, I’ll be your worst nightmare.
WhatsApp Halloween Sayings
We are do not just love to dress up and wear appropriate clothing for the holidays. We also have a thing for adapting our WhatsApp status to seasons and holidays. Whether it’s a snowman emoji for Christmas or a cool slogan in summer, we like to change our status when something new breaks out. It’s the same with Halloween sayings. That’s why we’ve put together some great phrases for you. That is for the scariest of the holidays.
- Got some candy?
- When ghosts roam the streets, today is probably Halloween.
- Spiderfoot and toadstool, no one is left alone tonight. We’re going through the streets together.
- Temporary not available. I’m on a candy hunt.
- If you give us something sweet, we move on to the house next door.Happy Halloween!
- Let’s go through the streets because tonight is Halloween!
- Ghosts scream witches laugh, give us sweets. Otherwise, it will crack.Trick or treat!
- I am the ghost next door. Give us sweets. Otherwise, it’s your turn! Have a spectacularly good time.
- Wild spirits are lost today, here and there and all around. And they do not give peace until they get something sweet!
- Trick or Treat. I like it, sweet.Give me something good to eat.
- Today is the Halloween night, ghosts, witches – everyone is awake.
- The horror sneaks from house to house today and rings out all the people.
For a sophisticated Halloween party, of course, sayings, disguises, and decoration should not miss the Halloween poems. They are ideal for invitations to a Halloween party or just as a friendly greeting to a friend or acquaintance by SMS, Whatsapp, e-mail, and Co. Since the poems are all rhyme and not too complicated, and children certainly have fun to recite her.
- Drag ghosts through the streets.Tonight is Halloween.
The horror sneaks from house to house
and rings out all the people.
The beet has sent us,
and so we moved here.
We hiss, howl, and we scream
, we dance the witch’s ring.
If you give us something sweet,
we move on to the next house.
- Fear of GhostsAnyone afraid of ghosts
hides better tonight.
Because high is the probability
that one of them shows up today.
Halloween brings so many dangers
and so many nightmares become real today.
- Tonight is Halloween,when the wind blows scary,
the kids are not
and the sweets vary.
Zombies get out your graves,
witches and ghosts do not behave,
this Night is the spooky queen
of creatures that are not seen
except for Halloween.
- When pumpkins shine in the Nightand skeletons wander the streets,
When a zombie laughs scarily, one
fears the other.
That must be so, oh please, play with!
Because Halloween is currently the hit!
- One and two,ghosts, you are free!
Three and four,
fly through my door!
Five and six,
instead of vegetables and plants
seven and eight,
today’s children have the power
nine and ten,
I want to see the sweets!
For foreign language talents among the children, we even have an English poem.