What is Holy Thursday – Maundy Thursday:
Holy Maundy Thursday 2019: Maundy Thursday Quotes, Maundy Thursday Images, Maundy Thursday Wishes & Maundy Thursday Greetings: As Holy Thursday is known the Christian festival that celebrates the Last Supper of Jesus of Nazareth with his disciples, the institution of the Eucharist and the priestly order, as well as the washing of feet.
Holy Maundy Thursday 2019
As such, all of Christendom, both the Catholic Church and the other Christian churches, commemorates Holy Thursday with processions and Eucharistic celebrations.
Holy Thursday takes place during Holy Week, the Thursday before Easter Sunday or Resurrection.
With Holy Thursday, Lent ends and the Easter Triduum begins, that is, the period in which the passion, death, and resurrection of Jesus are remembered, which extends from Holy Thursday to Holy Saturday.
Two events of singular importance take place this day according to the Bible: the Last Supper, where the Eucharist and the priesthood are instituted, and the washing of feet.
This day, then, is usually commemorated the institution of the Eucharist through the celebration of the Holy Offices, and the agony and prayer of Jesus are remembered in Gethsemane, in the garden of olive trees, the betrayal of Judas and the arrest of Jesus.
The last supper is the food that Jesus shared with his disciples in celebration of Easter. In it he instituted the Eucharist, also called communion, in which Christ leaves his body and blood transubstantiated in bread and wine.
St. Luke, in the New Testament, relates it this way: “Then he took the bread and, having given thanks, broke it and gave it to them, saying: ‘This is my body, which is given for you; Do this in remembrance of me’. He also took the cup, after he had supped, saying: ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you’ “(Luke, 22: 19-20).
As foot washing of Holy Thursday is called the event in which Jesus, as an act of humility, washed the feet of his disciples, in order to give an example of love and service to others. From there the commandment that Jesus made to his disciples follows: that they should love each other and serve one another.
Visit the 7 temples
One of the customs associated with the celebration of Holy Thursday is the traditional visit to the seven churches or seven temples, which can be done between the night of Holy Thursday and Good Friday morning. Its purpose, as such, is to thank Jesus Christ for the gift of the Eucharist and the priesthood, which he instituted that night.
More Information About Happy Easter
|Best Easter Egg Designs||What is Good Friday|
|Easter Holidays||Easter in the Uk|
|Happy Easter Quotes||Happy Easter Images|
|How to Paint Easter Eggs||Happy Easter Pictures|
|Easter Sunday Day in the USA||Easter Sunday Day in Canada|
Holy Thursday Memorial
There is also the tradition of building the monument of Holy Thursday, which is the chapel or altar where the consecrated host is reserved from Holy Thursday to Good Friday.
Holy Maundy Thursday Quotes
Before him, the Lord is often thanked for his passion, with which he redeemed, according to the Scriptures, humanity.
- “If we but paused for a moment to consider attentively what takes place in this Sacrament, I am sure that the thought of Christ’s love for us would transform the coldness of our hearts into a fire of love and gratitude.” – St. Angela of Foligno
- “I hunger for the bread of God, the flesh of Jesus Christ …; I long to drink of his blood, the gift of unending love.” – St. Ignatius of Antioch
- “I throw myself at the foot of the Tabernacle like a dog at the foot of his Master.” – St. John Vianney
- “God dwells in our midst, in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar.” – St. Maximilian Kolbe
- “When you look at the Crucifix, you understand how much Jesus loved you then. When you look at the Sacred Host you understand how much Jesus loves you now.” – Blessed Mother Teresa
Holy Maundy Thursday Images Wishes & Greetings
- “The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christian life.” – Pope John Paul II
- “The best way to economize time is to ‘lose’ half an hour each day attending Holy Mass.” – Frederic Ozanam
- “The Bread that we need each day to grow in eternal life makes of our will a docile instrument of the Divine Will; sets the Kingdom of God within us; gives us pure lips, and a pure heart with which to glorify his holy name.” – Edith Stein
Holy Maundy Thursday Wishes & Greetings
- “The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; It signifies Love, it produces Love.” – St. Thomas Aquinas
- “It would be easier for the world to survive without the sun than to do so without the Holy Mass.” – Padre Pio