Earth Day is one of the most beautiful and ecological expressions we have. For April 22, the day of the Earth, we propose you to spend a day celebrating our love for the earth, and for that reason various acts are given that allow us to celebrate this day in a special way, making clear our commitment to the environment, the land and the environment that surrounds us.
When is Earth Day
When is Earth Day? Every year, on April 22, in it will fall on Monday, Earth Day is celebrated all over the world and it is that in 1970 an environmental movement began where 20 million Americans demonstrated to go out to the street to fight for a healthy environment.
After this demonstration, the politicians were made aware of the importance of nature and that we must take care of it, which is why the United States Environmental Protection Agency was created. This association is responsible for the laws to get clean air, clean water, preserve species in danger of extinction.
April 22 is a key date for all countries to reflect on the care of the Earth, we must worry more about pollution, animals, plants and the environment.
What is Earth Day and how is it celebrated?
Earth Day or International Day of Mother Earth, Earth Day, is celebrated every year on April 22, which in this will be a Sunday.
The promoter of this day is the American Senator Gaylord Nelson, who decided to establish this day to raise awareness of the common problems that affect us around pollution, the conservation of biodiversity and other environmental concerns to protect the Earth.
The United Nations recognizes that the Earth and its ecosystems are the home of humanity, in the same way, they are convinced that if we want to achieve a fair balance between the economic, social and environmental needs of present and future generations, it is necessary to promote harmony with nature and the Earth. This is why they decided to designate April 22 as the “International Mother Earth Day”.
On this day is when in some way everyone becomes aware that we have to celebrate and care for the planet. It is a date as a reminder that we all have to do our part so that the planet can move forward. Climate change is a fact, so although for many political leaders it seems that the problem is something far away, this is the day in which they also get the message that it is time to change and do something for the care of entire communities, animals, and people around the world.
This April 22,, an opportunity to promote the International Day of Mother Earth and thus carry out new actions aimed at fighting climate change.
Thus, on April 22, as happens every year, more than 1 billion people in 190 countries participate in this Earth Day. Cities like San Francisco, San Juan, Brussels, Moscow or Marrakech, are “dressed in green” in demonstrations for the Earth and as an actor as citizens who plant trees, clean their communities and contact their political representatives in defense of the environment.
We in our city, community or town, we can perform all kinds of actions and activities as a celebration, and step to join in caring for the planet all together at least for a day.
Earth Day, how to celebrate it?
We ourselves, and apart from joining the acts that are organized in all countries, we can celebrate Earth Day in an ecological way and in a particular way. What can we do? Well, we can perform small acts that together make really great acts. Here we leave you with some tips that you must carry out to improve the situation of our planet earth.
- Tell a friend to change from incandescent lamps to energy-saving lamps.
- You have to talk to people about the benefits of renewable energy, and how bad fossil fuels are for our world.
- Advise everyone that for a day, disconnect their Internet connection and barely spend electricity.
- Another idea is to plant a tree. And invite your friends to do the same.
- Teach children to appreciate and care for nature. And about the importance of biodiversity.
- Play with children on the street. Take this day to teach them, for example, the importance of taking care of the environment but not from home, or from a computer.
- Tell that person who has thrown garbage in the street, pick it up and throw it in the garbage container.
- Recycle, and encourage your friends to do it too. That you know what is biodegradable and what is not.
- Do not use plastic bags, and if they have to be used, it is best to recycle them. You can use the ones they give you in stores like waste bags. You can spread these ideas among your friends. Thousands of animals will thank you.
- It can be spread among those who do not know, what global warming is, and what association it has with climate change.
- Take the opportunity to do some social cleansing. On this day, some organizations are dedicated to proposing different places that need cleaning but are abandoned.
- Calculate your carbon footprint. With the help of a carbon calculator, you can know what your personal contribution to global warming is and, in this way, remedy and reduce your own pollution.
- You can also explain to your friends what greenhouse gases are, and how they affect our planet by producing global warming.
- Whenever possible, avoid using transport that contaminates. It is better to use the bicycle to go to nearby places, and if for the nearest ones, walking.
- Do you play any sport? We have already advised you to leave home or to become aware of the outside world around you. Practicing a sport will keep you in touch with the earth while you get fit. Who knows, maybe you take the habit and thanks to Earth Day you begin to take more care of yourself and also your environment.
- You can also choose to change your cleaning products because they have a good number of chemical components, so maybe the time has come to start making your own cleaning products, and with that, you are able to pollute less.
- On the other hand, we can also try new habits in our diet, and in this way, you may want to stop eating meat and other derivatives, as well as processed foods and try vegetarian food.
- Share on social networks or through other media, your “selfie” for World Earth Day. Surely on a day like this, you will want to be able to take pictures of everything you do. Now is the best time of all to make the “selfie” de rigueur.
- Start thinking about switching to an electric car.
- Make every day Earth Day. For this, nothing better than committing to take care of your planet on a daily basis. Sometimes the small actions of all together are what give rise to the great changes.
No kidding, it’s not an exaggeration. In the last 35 years, we have lost a third of global wildlife. Yes, a third. It is very much.
Let’s take care of our planet, and let others take care of it too. So on this Earth Day, do something for the change, even if it is something as small as one of these 10 points that we have listed.
Phrases for Earth Day
We will help us through phrases of writers and poets who have written praising the Earth and wanting to take care of it to raise awareness among the population, we present the best phrases for Earth Day. These phrases have been pronounced by philosophers, politicians or writers among many people.
- The earth is insulted and offers its flowers in response. Rabindranath Tagore (Bengali poet)
- Humans do not know what they have on Earth. It will be because most of them have not had the opportunity to leave it and then return to it. James Russell Lowell (American poet)
- The earth is a theater, but it has a deplorable distribution. Oscar Wilde (Irish writer and poet)
- The earth is the root and source of our culture. Rigoberta Menchú (UNESCO ambassador)
- I wonder who has given us the right to spoil our planet. Kurt Vonnegut (American writer)
- If I knew that the world will end tomorrow, today I would still raise a tree. Martin Luther King (American pastor)
- Nature is a spectacle that develops in front of a man. Aristotle (philosopher and Greek scientist)
- The supreme reality of our planet is the vulnerability of our planet. John F. Kennedy (president of the USA)
- You must be the change that wants to see the world. Mahatma Gandhi (pacifist and Indian politician)
- The earth loves our footsteps and fears our hands. Joaquín Araújo (naturalist and Spanish writer)
- If half of Antarctica melts, Wall Street, the financial capital of the world, will be submerged underwater. Al Gore (US politician)
- A tree is our most intimate contact with nature. George Nakashima (American architect)
Everything is not enough to make us aware that we are destroying the planet, it is not too late we can still save it, let’s celebrate Earth Day and fight to save it!
If you want to know more about World Earth Day we have this other post that we have prepared and that will surely be of interest to you.