Merry Christmas Songs: There is no other time of year when a wide selection of songs is played than at Christmastime. Christmas songs are an integral part of the Christmas festivities. Every ethnicity, household, nationality or culture where Christmas is celebrated always has a collection of songs which it sometimes considers more important than Christmas gifts or trees.
Merry Christmas Songs
Christmas songs express the Christmas spirit. They make the food preparations somewhat more flavorful and spark some magic into the Christmas tree. They comprise various genres which are typically heard or performed during the Christmas season starting from the months approaching the holiday and ending in the following weeks briefly thereafter.
Below is a list of the 20 best tunes we hear during the Christmas season:
- “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole
This song is forever associated with Christmastime in American households. Among other Christmas songs, this song appeals strongly to the emotions. It was written by the Russian Jewish Mel Torme and his friend in just 45 minutes while experiencing a heat wave in 1944 in order to divert their minds and “keep cool.” It was not long after when Nat King Cole recorded this song in 1946.
- “Silent Night” by the Temptations
This Christmas carol ranks second among the list of the best Merry Christmas Songs as it touches the listener’s soul like no other. This song actually originated in Austria in 1818. As believed by many, Franz Xaver Gruber recorded this song right on Christmas Eve at the time when there was no church organ available for use as it was broken, so this song was created with the use of his guitar as an accompaniment.
Among the many Christmas songs to choose from, “White Christmas” is a bestseller Christmas song worldwide. The 1954 version of this song is included in the soundtrack of several classic Christmas movies such as Home Alone, the Santa Claus and Mixed Nuts.
- “Let it Snow!” by Frank Sinatra
Your selection of Christmas songs is never complete without Frank Sinatra’s “Let it, Snow.” The time this song was recorded by composer Jule Styne and vocalist Sammy Cahn, however, is somewhat ironic since it took place on a hot summer day in July in 1945. Sinatra has the 1950 version along with The Swanson Quartet.
- “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano
In 1970, this song was written and recorded by the Puerto Rican artist and songwriter Jose Feliciano. This belongs to the category of the most aired and downloaded Christmas songs even until today. This Christmas song is heard in all grocery shopping trips at Christmastime in New York City.
- ‘The Christmas Song’: Nat King Cole (1961)
- ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’: Judy Garland (1944)
- ‘Happy Xmas (War Is Over)’: John Lennon (1971)
- ‘Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree’: Brenda Lee (1958)
- ‘Santa Claus Is Coming to Town’: Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi (2003)
- ‘The Little Drummer Boy’: David Bowie and Bing Crosby (1977)
- ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’: Mariah Carey (1994)
- ‘White Christmas’: Bing Crosby (1942)
- ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’: Band Aid (1984)
- ‘Fairytale of New York’: The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl (1988)
- ‘Christmas Time Is Here’: Vince Guaraldi (1965)
- ‘Santa Tell Me’: Ariana Grande (2014)
- ‘Jingle Bell Rock’: Daryl Hall and John Oates (2006)
- ‘Winter Wonderland’: Jason Mraz (2003)
- ‘Mistletoe’: Justin Bieber (2011)
You May Also Read
- Christmas in London
- Christmas in Britain
- Merry Christmas Greetings Cards
- Merry Christmas Images
- Christmas 2018 Quotes, Sayings
- Christmas Ornaments for Doors
- Aromatic Candles for Christmas
- History of Christmas in America
- Christmas Tree Decoration Ideas
- Best Christmas Markets in Europe
- Christmas Recipes Around the World