Watermelon Ice Cream: I finally cheered up! I’ve finally made my first ice cream!
And yes, I could not think of anything else but to start with the most complicated recipe, the ice cream one from Sandia. As all veteran confectioners in ice cream will know, making fruit ice creams that are pure water is very complicated.
Homemade Watermelon Ice Cream
But Mirta goes, she is encouraged to make ice cream for the first time in her life, and since she has plenty of watermelon in her fridge, it does not occur to her to do anything other than complicate her life.
But I did not start making ice cream like a madwoman without any sense. The first thing I did was to ask Bibiana, from the blog Horno y Adorno (I love the name of her blog and all of it because she is a bitch) and ask her, seeing the amount of ice cream she has already made and how wonderful it is, that I give some advice.
From his answer I got even more motivated, so the second step was to search the Internet for all the tricks and advice I had and for the ice cream and I found some pages with interesting information. With all that information in hand, the last thing that was missing was to find an appetizing recipe for Watermelon ice cream.
But before going for the recipe, I’m sure you’ll be interested to know all those tips and tricks that I compiled, so there they go. I know it’s long, but it’s worth it to read everything calmly so that the next time you make an ice cream you know what you’re doing and why at every moment. And by the way, get to improve your favorite recipes.
Tricks and Tips to Get a Good Ice Cream
Ice creams are very simple recipes to make, they usually have almost no complication, but it is true that getting the consistency and creamy texture of the ice cream purchased, is not so simple, especially if we do not have a refrigerator. What we all want is to avoid the crystallization of our ice cream and ensure that creaminess so characteristic.
Important ingredients to keep in mind
1, Sugar: I am sure that many of you, in order to get an ice cream as healthy as possible, will try to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe, but you will be interested to know that the higher your proportion in the creamier ice cream it will come out, because it helps to avoid crystallization. On the other hand, we must bear in mind that the cold attenuates the flavors, among them the sweetness, for that reason, it is necessary to accentuate them.
2. Honey : I’m not a big fan of honey, but knowing that it helps to avoid that unwanted crystallization and improve the creaminess even better than sugar, I’ll look at it with different eyes. Not to mention that it is a sweetener much healthier and more natural than white sugar.
3. Alcohol: Ice cream with liquor is not only delicious, but it will come out more creamy thanks to the fact that alcohol acts as a natural antifreeze. Liquors, essences and spirits are added at the end of the process.
4. Fat: Cream, butter or yogurt made with whole milk help to achieve consistency in ice cream. A good trick is to mount the cream without it being too hard, as it will give your ice cream a special texture and creaminess.
5. Inverted sugar: This ingredient that many will never hate to talk about, is very used in ice cream to ensure that we will definitely achieve that desired creaminess. Until recently, inverted sugar was an unknown ingredient and very difficult to access, as it is not sold in any supermarket.
But if you want you can prepare it at home as they teach you on this page, it is very simple. Also, you can buy it online. Right now there are many creative pastry shops that you find on the web, as well as more and more in your city, with previously unattainable products, including inverted sugar.
6. Liquid glucose: Liquid glucose is very thick, sticky, colorless and its mission is the same as invert sugar: avoid the crystallization of ice cream. If you are going to use it, substitute a quarter of the sugar you want to put in glucose, that is, if you are going to put 200 grams of sugar, put 150 grams of sugar and 50 grams of glucose.
Like invert sugar is an ingredient that, until a few years ago, you could not get easily. But today you can get it in many online stores like this one . This is the option for which I opted and I can assure you that I was very happy, because the ice cream was perfect.
7. Air: The cheapest and easiest ingredient to get, the air, gives more creaminess and fluffiness to your ice cream, so when you mix the mixture do it with energy, trying to introduce that air. Add the whipped cream as I said before or the egg whites with snow are other ways to add it.
Steps to follow during the process
The ideal is that we have a refrigerator, since its function is precisely to constantly beat the ice cream in cold to avoid its crystallization. If you have it, just keep in mind that the ice cream mixture must be very cold before putting it in the machine. You should put the cream in the fridge for at least half an hour. Then you just have to follow the instructions of the refrigerator.
But what do we do if we do not want to buy another device that will occupy a place in our kitchen?
Once the cream is prepared, we should put it in the freezer in an airtight container to prevent it from taking odors. Leave it for an hour or so, and before it crystallizes, remove it from the freezer and whisk it vigorously, by hand or with rods, to break the ice crystals and make a creamy ice cream.
Put it back in the freezer and do this process several times. The process is much slower and heavier than with the refrigerator, but you can achieve almost the same effect if you are patient and constant.
All these tips have helped me a lot, but the next step will be to complete all this information with my own experience after making a few ice creams. So it is pending to complete it better. Once I knew all this, I started looking for watermelon ice cream recipes.
I quickly found a problem: it is not easy to find watermelon ice cream, but sorbets and popsicles, it is not easy to make ice cream with such watery fruits. And what happened to me? Invent the recipe.
1. I have not made ice cream in my life.
2. I have only read a little about ice cream.
3. But I go and I invent a recipe.
All the ballots were against me. But miraculously it came out, and that’s how perfect it is.
- 250 gr of sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 500 gr of watermelon
- 25 gr of liquid glucose
- 150 gr of chocolate chips
- 400 ml of cream 35% fat to assemble
The first thing you have to do before putting on this recipe is to put in the fridge, if possible the day before, the bowl where you will mount the cream, the rods and of course the cream. The colder everything is, the easier it will be to mount it.
If you have not remembered to do it the day before, try to spend at least two or three hours in the fridge.
Meanwhile, grind the watermelon without seeds with a blender together with sugar, vanilla and liquid glucose.
Then mount the cream, but avoiding it is very hard, we could say that we will semimontar.
Add to the cream the crushed watermelon, with soft and enveloping movements, and when everything is well mixed put this preparation in the fridge for at least an hour if you are going to use the refrigerator.
After that time have the ice cream in the refrigerator, following the instructions of the machine, for about 25 minutes. When you finish all this process, that’s the time to add the chocolate nuggets. Finally put the ice cream in the freezer for 12 hours, or until you get to the desired consistency and hardness, because the creaminess is already assured.
If you do not have a refrigerator, put the mixture directly in the freezer as I explained above. Leave it for an hour or so, and before it crystallizes, remove it from the freezer and whisk it vigorously, by hand or with rods, to break the ice crystals and make a creamy ice cream. Put it back in the freezer and do this process several times.
Tips and tricks of this ice cream
- I believe that the key ingredient that made this recipe truly be cn the texture and creaminess of a real ice cream, and not like a sorbet, is the whipped cream. So this point does not vary. If you are not good at riding the nataten note the following:
- It is very important that the cream, before mounting, is very cold, as well as the bowl where the mountains.
The stabilizing cream envelopes are very useful. I always use it and it works like a charm. If the cream has been cut several times like me and you already have panic, use them!
- The normal thing when serving ice cream is to remove them from the freezer a few minutes before. With this ice cream, it is not necessary. It is so creamy that it does not finish hardening completely in the freezer and also melts very quickly.