New York Travel Insurance: Do you need travel insurance when you go to New York? This is a question that I am usually asked and that I will try to answer in this article, putting the pros and cons of hiring insurance.
What Does New York Travel Insurance?
Travel insurance has three parts:
- Cancellation of the trip.
- Loss or delay in the arrival of luggage.
In the first two cases, its function is clear, although we must take into account that normally with credit cards or airlines you cover the loss, deterioration or late arrival of luggage, so we will focus on health care, which is without a doubt the most interesting.
Healthcare in the USA
And is that there is no agreement between the Spanish Social Security or the European Union with the United States, any small incident you have during the trip (a sprain, high fever, …) you have to cover the cost of health care unless you have private health insurance, including coverage abroad assistance, or have purchased travel insurance.
In addition, having no health coverage, spending in the United States soars and a simple thing, such as an x-ray and a bandage can shoot up to a thousand euros, not to mention if a hospitalization or surgery is already necessary, in which amounts can be shot above 10,000 euros, especially if there is a hospitalization or surgery, or if you want to repatriate the patient.
So, if you have private health insurance in your country, the best thing you can do is call and ask if it includes assistance in the United States and with what amounts, and if it also includes repatriation in the event of an accident.
If you do not have insurance or your health insurance does not cover the United States, then if I strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance for all the people traveling, the cost is low compared to the price of the trip (it will cost around 40 -50 euros per person the most basic insurance) and you will be guaranteed health care up to a certain amount.
What amounts should I hire?
There I recommend not to take out a travel insurance that does not cover a minimum of 40,000 or 50,000 euros in healthcare and hospital expenses, you save very little if you reduce that amount and thus cover any unforeseen event, although as always we hope you do not have to use He for anything.
Recommended travel insurance
This is what has happened to me, I have never had to use health insurance, so I can not provide my experience with any of them, but here is three insurance that have the best scores on the Internet and which I usually hire for my trips abroad outside the European Union.
- Allianz Assistance: It is the leading company in the market and it is the travel insurance that you offer when you hire the trip on websites like Expedia or similar. The German insurer is a guarantee if you have problems during your trip, they have their own network of centers in the United States with which they can offer you the best service during your trip, and is the one that I usually hire if I travel to an exotic country or in stays short In addition, you will get a 10% discount, exclusive from the previous link, if you write the discount code CC-10-OFF when doing the simulation.
- IATI insurance: These are very famous on the Internet, and they are recommended by almost all travel bloggers because they have very good prices, and both the coverage and the opinions of users who, unfortunately, have had to make use of it are very good. of them. In addition, if you click on the link you will automatically get a 5% discount on the rate offered by them on the web.
- Intermedial: A world leader in travel insurance, Intermedial is another of the companies that I recommend for your trips.