Home News Toronto Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Including the Attacker, And 13 Injured

Toronto Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Including the Attacker, And 13 Injured

Toronto policemen guard the foot of Danforth Street in the place of a shooting in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, on July 23, 2018. COLE BURSTON AFP / Getty Images

A shooting in the Greek neighborhood of Toronto left two dead, including the attacker, and 13 wounded, informed the police chief of the economic capital of Canada, indicating that they still do not know the reasons for the incident.

The shooting took place on Sunday night and caused chaos in the lively Greek neighborhood of Toronto, where witnesses said they heard about twenty shots and the sound of a weapon that was reloaded several times.

The victim who lost his life is a young woman, police spokesman Mark Saunders told a news conference, stating that one girl was in “critical condition.”

The attacker died after an exchange of gunfire with the police. However, he did not want to say if he was killed or committed suicide. He also stressed that it was still too early to know the reasons for the attack.

The residents of the neighborhood said they heard a series of shots followed by shouts of people running out. “There were many shots, then a pause, then more shots and again a pause. There must have been about 20 or 30 shots and we ran, “said one witness, John Tulloch, quoted by the Globe and Mail newspaper.

A video posted on the Internet, which was later deleted, showed a man dressed in black approaching a restaurant and shooting at the glass, according to Radio Canada.

A witness, Andreas Mantzios, told the Global News that the attacker unloaded his gun on a young girl who was fleeing and then continued to shoot him while his body was on the ground.

– “Tragedy” with weapons –

The mayor of Toronto, John Tory, described this as a “tragedy” and warned that the shooting this Sunday is an “evidence of a problem with weapons” in this city.

“The weapons are easily available to too many people,” Tory said at a press conference that he offered two hours after the shooting.

He indicated that the details of this attack are still incomplete.

“We have to find out what happened here. We do not know, “he added.

The prime minister of the province of Ontario, Doug Ford, wrote a tweet in solidarity with the victims: “My heart is with the victims and the families of this horrible act of armed violence in Toronto. Thanks to everyone who responded quickly and helped everyone affected. “

Toronto is the largest city in Canada, and its inhabitants are concerned about the high number of shootings that have suffered this year, about 20 of them with fatalities, largely due to gang problems.

In April, a man who apparently had problems with women, ran over pedestrians with his truck, leaving 10 people dead and 15 injured in one of the deadliest attacks in this country.

Canada has historically had low levels of armed violence, especially when compared to the high rates in the United States, its southern neighbor.

Last week the Toronto police began to implement a plan to reduce the acts of violence that are recorded with weapons. This measure includes a reinforcement of 200 agents in the shift between 19:00 and 03:00 in some of the neighborhoods where the highest number of shootings is recorded.

You may also like

Load More Related Articles
Load More In News

Check Also

13 Facts About World Chocolate Day [to Celebrate]

World Chocolate Day: Since 1995, it is celebrated every September 13th. Here we leave a li…