According to French media reports, the 29-year-old was booked by the intelligence services of France for his connection to a man who had been in Syria.
The alleged terrorist who killed a person in Paris on Saturday and wounded four others is a young man born in the Russian republic of Chechnya in 1997, nationalized French and booked by the Gallic secret services.
Hours after the attack, the second with dead in France this year after the French-Moroccan Radouane Lakdim killed four people on March 23, details of the attacker have been known, killed when he tried to rush into police during his assault on pedestrians in the central Opera area of the capital.
Thanks to his fingerprints, it was discovered that he is a young Russian of Chechen origin born in 1997 and nationalized French.
According to French media, the young man was already booked by the French secret services for his closeness to a man who was in Syria, although he had no police record.
According to the channel “BFMTV”, he came to be questioned a year ago by the French authorities.
Also, the attacker’s parents have been placed in police custody.
The profile of the aggressor – of Chechen origin and also with Russian nationality – does not correspond with that of the last terrorists who attacked France since 2015, most of them with origins in the Maghreb.
The Russian Embassy in Paris today asked the French authorities for clarifications on the citizenship of man.
The Islamic State (IS) has already taken the attack last night in Paris in a brief statement issued by the agency Amaq, close to the IS, although its authenticity could not be confirmed.
France, which is experiencing a wave of jihadist attacks that since 2015 have claimed 245 fatalities – without including last night’s, still under investigation – is still in a “high threat” state, warned Interior Minister Gérard Collomb. who this morning summoned in the General Staff to the main police figures and of the secret services.
“What happened last night can happen anywhere in France, it’s a rudimentary weapon, a knife, it did not have sophisticated preparations, “ the minister lamented.
“These types of attacks, such as those used by a truck, are difficult to prevent, although we do our best to do so,” said Collomb , who revealed that the deadly victim last night was a 29-year-old pedestrian and explained that the four injured, aged between 26 and 54, is now out of danger.
One of the most criticized points today by the opposition, especially by the far-right National Front (FN), has been the fact that the assailant was supposedly on the radar of the authorities on the grounds of Islamist radicalization.
“We learned again that the terrorist would appear as a signatory for the intelligence services … What is the use of this card, which is not enough to prevent these time bombs from damaging our country?” , the leader of the FN, Marine Le Pen, was interrogated in her “Twitter” account.
It is the second time in a few months that the issue of those signed by the secret services creates controversy in France, after last March another employee, Lakdim, killed four people in several attacks in the south of France.
The president of France, Emmanuel Macron, has not spoken out about this controversy and has followed the attack from a distance, as he is on vacation in the fort of Brégançon, a state residence bathed by the French Mediterranean coast.
Last night, he posted his “Twitter” account, a message in which he warned that France “will not give a millimeter to the enemies of freedom”.
The area of the attack, which includes the streets Saint-Augustin, Monsigny – where the aggressor was shot down – and the Gaillon square, was on Sunday more altered than usual, especially by the presence of journalists.
Gilles, one of the witnesses of the tempted neighbor of Saint-Augustin Street, said that the young aggressor, who shouted “Allah Akbar” (Allah is great) and had a long beard, was “calm and determined to die”.
This attack is added to others produced in Paris since 2015, such as the writing of “Charlie Hebdo” (12 deceased) in January 2015 or that of November of that year in the Bataclán room, Voltaire boulevard and Saint-Denis ( 130 dead).
You may also like
- Could a War Between Iran and Israel Be Unleashed?
- At Least 23 Dead in Israeli Attacks on Iranian Targets in Syria
- Tension Grows Between Israel and Iran in the Golan Heights:
- Thyroid Diseases – Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Singing With Your Baby Can Help Ease Postnatal Depression