With this decision, the city becomes the largest city in the United States to prohibit the sale of clothing and products made with animals
San Francisco became the largest city in the United States last Wednesday to prohibit the sale of fur as a way to protect animals. The Supervisory Board of this city, traditionally liberal, voted unanimously on the measure that was presented on Tuesday.
Humane Society International (HSI), the animal advocacy association, celebrated the move, “It’s a historic and exciting vote for both animals and for compassionate consumption, and we hope the world is watching.” The ban will apply to coats and anything else that has real fur, including keyrings and gloves.
But San Francisco is not the first to adopt this measure. In the past, two smaller Californian cities – West Hollywood and Berkeley – had already banned the sale of skins. The same happens in India and in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo, according to HSI on its blog.
The standard adds to the measures recently announced by two leading fashion firms: Versace and Furla. Others like Armani, Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, and Gucci had already stopped using animal skins.
Katy Tang, a member of the Supervisory Board of San Francisco, said it is estimated that each year about 50 million animals “are massacred in a creepy way so we can show off their skin and look fashionable.” “I hope (that this measure) sent a strong message to the rest of the world,” Tang added according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
Merchants expressed concern about the measure. The sale of fur in the city represents at least 40 million dollars a year, according to the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce. The resolution will take effect on January 1, although sellers have until January 2020 to liquidate the existing inventory.
You may also like to read
- The stock exchanges receive with strong fall the commercial war of Trump against China
- Trump accuses Amazon of throwing thousands of merchants out of business and paying few taxes
- The fascinating map that shows in real-time all the satellites and the space debris that orbit the Earth
- The man who forced Google to remove link from google and eliminate his criminal past from the search engine
- Why are there more and more infidel women and why so many stay with their partners after being deceived?