The Japanese Taro Daniel, 109 of the world ranking, starred Sunday one of the big surprises of the tournament in Indian Wells, first Masters 1000 of the season, eliminating the Serbian Novak Djokovic, who returned to competition after his operation on his elbow and that he proved to be far from his best moment.
The Balkan, who started his participation in his second tournament in the last nine months, was lacking pace, slow and without confidence. Resigned to the enthusiasm of his rival, against whom he had never before faced and who did not miss a unique opportunity to achieve a reputation triumph.
Taro Daniel, without success in his record, beat Djokovic 7-6 (3), 4-6 and 6-1 after two and a half hours of Calvary for the Balkan, who gave a feeling of not being comfortable in the track in no time.
Djokovic, the champion on five occasions in Indian Wells, in 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016, and finalist in 2007, reappeared at the Australian Open at the beginning of the year but lost in the second round against the South Korean Hyeon Chung.
Daniel will face in the third round the winner of the match between the Belgian Ruben Bememlmans and the Argentine Leonardo Mayer
You may also like to read
- Emery insists: do not see Neymar leaving PSG
- Germany also falls and Spain is one step away from Japan 2019
- A shooting in the largest university in Mexico ends with two dead
- Federer does not allow surprises to Delbonis after the rain stopped
- Actor Brendan Fraser Accuses Sexual Abuse of a Hollywood Reporter